Dead Sea Salt Benefits
The ancients thought bathing in the Dead Sea was beneficial, but what about science? Well, as it happens, there has been quite a bit of scientific research into Dead Sea salt benefits and the scientists agree that there are definitely Dead Sea salt benefits.
Just in case you’re interested, Dead Sea Salt is actually a mixture of salts and minerals. The predominant salt in the Dead Sea is magnesium chloride (33%), followed by potassium chloride (24%), sodium chloride (5.5%) and calcium chloride (.2%). (Note: these percentages will vary from batch to batch.) When these minerals come in contact with the skin they clear up skin conditions. When they pass through the skin into the blood, there are yet more benefits.
Most scientific studies to date on Dead Sea salt remedies pertain to psoriasis. The conclusion is that the magnesium in the magnesium chloride is probably the primary benefactor.
However, scientists in one study done at the Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany, and published in the International Journal of Dermatology, conclude that bathing in Dead Sea salt “improves skin barrier function, enhances skin hydration and reduces inflammation in atopic dry skin.” (Atopic means a hereditary condition causing an allergic reaction such as psoriasis or hives.) In this study, the consensus was also that magnesium was the curative substance.
Used in a bath for its soothing properties, Dead Sea salt is wonderful and safe. However, therapeutic doses are necessary to remedy some conditions. With that in mind, if you are going to use therapeutic doses of Dead Sea salt, we strongly recommend you clear with your physician before you self treat
Dead Sea Salt Bath – Benefits at a Glance:
- Psoriasis and eczema – In one study, after only one week of therapy, most symptoms had diminished and itching and scaling were drastically reduced. After four weeks of therapy, over half of the patients we completely healed and the remainder experienced marked improvement.
Watch: Dead Sea salt therapy for psoriasis from CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Tendonitis – Studies show marked improvement in over 75% of patients. Patients experience less pain, improved mobility, and ability to decrease their use of analgesics.
- Other conditions that may improve include acne, allergic reactions and muscle soreness following rigorous exercise.
Even if you don’t have a condition calling for the use of Dead Sea salt remedies, you can still benefit from the Dead Sea salt because when used in a bath, both potassium and magnesium enter your body. The benefits of magnesium are too numerous to mention here, but suffice it to say that magnesium for most of us and potassium for some (particularly athletes) are often deficient.
A Basic Recipe for Dead Sea Salt Remedies
- 4.8 pounds (2.2 kg) Dead Sea salt dissolved in bath water at 81° F (27°C)
- Soak for 20 minutes and thoroughly rinse
- Wrap in warm robe for 1 hour before dressing
- Repeat baths 3 – 4 times a week for 3 – 4 weeks
Please clear with your physician before using this Dead Sea salt remedy, particularly if you have other medical issues.
A Basic Recipe for a Soothing Bath using Dead Sea Salt
- Add 1 – 2 cups of Dead Sea Salt to a warm (not hot) bath
- Rinse and you’re all done
Now go have fun and relax.
Homemade Bath Salts – What you need to know
Enjoy a Perfect Bath
Colloidal Oatmeal – A Really Really Simple Bath for Dry Itchy Skin
Homemade Bath Salts – Lavender