When you’re brewing teas and herbal infusions there are a few important things to keep in mind. This post will help you brew teas and herbal infusions flawlessly. When brewed correctly they provide the desirable benefits, flavors and scents you should expect.
Heat is a wonderful thing when it’s icy cold outside and you are chilled to the bone. Heat is also necessary to open the pores on your skin to help them breath. However, heat in the brews and infusions must be treated delicately because it can be very destructive.
How to brew teas
You basically need two things; the tea or tea bag and water. It’s best to use filtered water without any pesky disinfection molecules floating around to possibly affect the results.
- First boil the water then pour the water over the tea. Never boil the tea as this can change it chemically and will defiantly change its flavor. I cringe when I see folks drop tea bags into a kettle full of water and boil it.
- After you’ve added the boiling water to the tea, allow the tea to steep to the desired strength. After it has steeped your tea is ready to drink. I like my teas sweetened with honey.
How to brew herbal infusions
Flower infusions such as rose water are added to many spa creations. Herbal infusions are used therapeutically. As in brewing teas, flower or herbal infusions need water and flowers or herbs. Also, you don’t boil flowers or herbs. Prepare them as follows:
- First boil about a quart of filtered water
- After the water comes to a boil add it to a 1 quart jar into which you have added 1 cup of flower petals or herbs.
- Cap your jar tightly.
- Allow this mixture to steep for at least 4 hours, but 6 to 8 hours is better.
- After the infusion has steeped, strain and your flower or herbal infusion is ready to use therapeutically or additive to your spa creations. (Note: you can add some of the solid material in your spa creations for an interesting effect.)
It’s pretty amazing how little things like brewing teas and infusions the wrong way can make such an huge difference in results. Because of this, I thought this information was so important that I wanted to share it with our goddesses.
Now go have fun and relax.