Pumpkin Spice Bath Bombs
There is nothing more fun than making deliciously fragrant Pumpkin Spice Bath Bombs as a special treat for your friends on Halloween. The kids can help too.
What you will need:
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup Epsom salt (finely ground)
- Light oil like jojoba or vegetable oil (about 1 tablespoon)
- Orange soap safe dye (about ½ teaspoon or so)
Note: Be careful not to add too much dye. You don’t want to come out of the bath looking like a pumpkin.
- Pumpkin spice fragrance oil (1 ½ to 2 teaspoons)
- Dome shaped mold
1. Mix the citric acid and baking soda together VERY WELL. Don’t get lazy here or you can end up with a ruined batch.
2. Add the wet ingredients to a spray bottle and shake well.
3. As you whisk the dry ingredients, spray them with the wet ingredients (remember, you’re only adding a small amount of wet ingredients just enough to hold the mixture together.)
4. Don’t make the mixture too wet or it’ll ruin your batch. Take it slow. Test the mixture by taking some in your hand and squeezing. If it forms a ball without breaking apart, you’re ready to add to mold.
5. Put bath bomb mixture into mold and pack tightly or your bomb will fall apart when you remove from mold. Wait a few minutes then tap lightly to remove from mold. Place on paper towel lined cookie sheet. Let dry thoroughly (3 to 4 hours). Just for fun, paint them with frosting to look like jack-o-lanterns. Be sure to place them in plastic wrap to keep moisture out.
To create jack-o-lantern:
You have two options, you can make “Royal Icing,” or you can purchase ready made frosting from the grocery store such as Cake Mate decorating icing for cakes. If you purchase ready made frosting from the store, make certain that it will dry hard. Gel frostings don’t dry hard and bleed.
What you will need:
If you choose to buy the ready made frosting, make sure you have a #1 – #3 tip and the frosting is black. Keep in mind that it won’t dry quite as hard as the Royal Icing, but it’s more convenient if you’re in a hurry. I recommend buying at least two 4.25 oz tubes, just to be sure you have enough.
If you choose to make your own Royal Icing, here’s how you make it:
- 2 1/4 tsp (9g) meringue powder
- 1 cup (125g) confectioner sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp plus 1 ½ tsp water (20ml)
- Black food coloring
- Size #1 – #3 frosting tip and frosting bag or baggie
Add meringue powder, sugar and water to small bowl and beat at low speed until icing forms peaks (this will take 7 – 10 minutes).
When mixed, add black food coloring a drop at a time until you have the icing black enough. Place icing in frosting bag or baggie and your ready to decorate.
Note: Royal Icing dries very quickly so keep bowl covered with damp cloth while decorating your pumpkin spice bath bombs. However be careful not to get water on your bath bombs or you will set them off.
With a small knife, lightly scrape the bottom of your bath bomb to create a flat surface. This is to keep your jack-o-lantern from rolling. Before adding the scary face, gently brush the surface of your pumpkin spice bath bomb with a soft brush to remove loose particles. Now you’re ready to decorate. If you’ve made Royal Icing, add frosting to a frosting bag or baggie (To prepare baggie as a frosting bag, cut one corner just large enough to fit tip snugly. Don’t use cheap baggies because they tend to tear. If that happens, you may end up with a giant mess and ruined bath bombs.) Use your frosting tip and draw a jack-o-lantern face.
Now go have fun and relax.
Basic Bath Bomb Recipe
Bath Fizzies – Fun for You and the Kids
Make Your Own Bath Beads
Make Your Own Spa Gift Baskets