So why am I writing a post on quotes about loving yourself on SpaFromScratch.com. If you checked out our other posts, you will see that we are all about trying to make the lives of our readers healthy and happy. That brings me back to the reason for this post. Many people believe loving yourself means being selfish or narcissistic. However, that is a misconception and many great philosophers and teachers attest to that fact. Here’s what they have to say:
- Well-ordered self-love is right and natural. (Saint Thomas Aquinas)
- Above the cloud with its shadow is the star with its light. Above all things reverence thyself. (Pythagoras)
- You will always have to live with yourself, and it is to your best interest to see that you have good company — a clean, pure, straight, honest, upright, generous, magnanimous companion. (Orison Marden – Founder of Success magazine)
- Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (King James Bible Mark 22:39)
- (A definition of love)- The will to extend one’s self for the purpose pf nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth. (M. Scott Peck, MD The Road Less Traveled)
- From this it follows that my own self, in principle, is as much an object of love as another person. …if he can only “love” others, he cannot love at all. (Erich Fromm Escape from Freedom)
When you think about loving yourself, what feelings does that invoke? Do you feel like you’re being selfish, egocentric or narcissistic? If so, I have a thought for you to ponder. Think about the miracle of nature that brought you into being. You started out as a single cell. The code that ultimately created you had to work seamlessly to create the ultimate being. You. Think about what had to happen to during this process. It’s mind blowing.
The reality is you deserve no less love from you than anyone else deserves. The narcissist does not truly love anyone. He or she operates from an ego base which is prone to be all about the Me. Sometimes that’s out of ignorance and at other times from mental illness. In either event, that is not love.
From the little spider that spins a gossamer web in the corner of a cabinet to the billions of stars that light the night sky there is wonder. You are an inseparable part of that wonder. We all are. So, why wouldn’t you love yourself?
If you want to see more quotes about loving yourself, read some of the excellent books that address the subject. One of my favorites is the work of Erich Fromm. I also read Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, and a little known author Vernon Howard.
Now go have fun and relax.